Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Building a new Attic

Monday
Well, I must say this is rather exciting.

What you are looking at is a view from outside the window of the new Uncle Warren's Attic, which should be a reality in mid-August, Lord willing and the creek don't rise. Red and I have owned this land for about six years, and circumstances finally have arranged themselves in such a way that we can begin building a domicile on the property.


Tuesday
Late last week stakes went into the ground marking where the house will go, and Monday I positioned myself in the corner where there'll be a bedroom that I plan to convert into my office/studio space. That's the top photo.

Tuesday morning, the diggers arrived. At the end of the day, I went to approximately the same spot on the property and snapped approximately the same photo.

Wow!

I have attended my share of groundbreaking ceremonies in 37 (!) years as a reporter-type person, and today I finally understand why they're so excited. The hole in the ground is a symbol of the future, a positive act toward something new. Hurry up, tomorrow, I can hardly wait to meet you.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, there are bound to be snafus and disappointments and stuff that doesn't happen the way we hoped it would happen. But mostly there's a hole in the ground where a home will be.

No comments: