Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Settling in with a meme

I wanted to create a unique Web site for www.unclewarrensattic.com, but I haven't mastered all of the concepts in Creating Web Pages for Dummies yet, so I set it up over here at Blogger, where I understand how things work a little better.

Also, I'm still piggybacking the feeds with the Imaginary Age stories that B.W. and I are telling, so if you subscribe to the RSS feed you'll still get both. No doubt there's a way to separate the two shows, but I'm still working my way through Podcasting for Dummies, too. That, and I'd just as soon everyone sample both shows anyway.

The reaction to the show so far has been very positive, and thank you one and all. I'm going to try to go with a weekly, Wednesday routine, so watch for a new show tomorrow, Oct. 4.

This seems like a good time and place to respond to the meme that Kirsten has tagged me with, along with a lovely plug for the podcast:

1. Have you found a song running through your head on more than one occasion? What is it?
Since eighth grade I have occasionally been stuck singing "Yellow Submarine" incessantly. I think that explains many things about me.

2. If you've gone through a particularly bad breakup, what song do you associate with it?
Not meaning to be narcissistic or anything, but I sat down one day and wrote a silly little pop-country song about a guy who wakes up, his dog jumps up on the bed and he starts petting the dog, and then he remembers his girl has left him and thinks "Who's gonna pet me in the morning now that you're gone?" Well, I was playing the song and patting myself on the back for my musical genius when the phone rang, and the ensuing conversation set a particularly bad breakup in motion. So I don't play that song very often anymore.

3. What's your musical guilty pleasure? A band, song, or genre that you enjoy but are ashamed to admit it?
I'm not ashamed, but I don't mention my addiction to contemporary Christian music very often, because I know it makes some folks uncomfortable and I hate to offend my flying spaghetti monsterist friends and acquaintances. UWA #3 will have a couple of very cool selections along those lines, BTW. I think even FSMers will approve.

4. Name a song that makes you sing out loud when you're alone in the car?
Oh, wow, see 1 and 3 above. "Yellow Submarine," "Thunder Road," "Painting Pictures of Egypt" by Sara Groves, and miscellaneous others as the mood strikes.

5. Name a song, band, or genre that forces you to change radio stations and possibly even rip the knob off?
"Nothing Compares 2U" by Sinead O'Connor. "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. That "Titanic" song by Celine Dion. Fingernails on the blackboard. Yeesh!

6. Is there a song that can make you cry?
Lots of 'em. I'm a big mushpot. "Thunder Road" for its hope-against-hope ending: "I'm pulling out of here to win." Gets me almost every time.

7. Is there a song that always cheers you up?
"Thunder Road."

8. Is there a single song that reminds you of high school?
A single song? No. The first ones that come to mind: "Born On the Bayou." "Bluebird." "Hey Jude." That was a pretty rich time for popular music ...

No comments: